One of our goals when starting Yass Wholefoods was not only to sell the kinds of foods we love to cook, but to make it easy for people who may not know how great these foods can be. We’ll be posting recipes and cooking tips here and thought we’d start with one of the basics - brown rice!
Brown rice is one of those things that puts some people off, thinking that they don’t know how to cook it properly. Don’t cook it for long enough and it is hard and chewy, too long and it’s mush. Too much water, and you’ve got a sloppy mess. And doesn’t it take AGES to cook? Isn’t it a total hassle?
We’re here to tell you no, once you master cooking this delicious grain, it will become a staple in your kitchen. We like to cook a double batch and freeze it in portions, making healthy weeknight meals a breeze.
The medium grain brown rice we stock is the most delicious, sustainably grown, Biodynamic rain-fed brown rice. It is grown and milled on a certified Biodynamic family farm in Northern NSW. It has no GMO, chemicals or pesticides.
Biodynamic farming is an enhanced method of Certified Organic farming that concentrates on enhancing soil, plant, and environmental health and vitality. This brown rice is entirely rain-fed and grown without any input from flood irrigation. According to the CSIRO, up to 1550 litres of water is required to grow just 1 kilo of rice in Australia using standard farming practices.
Medium grain brown rice has a shorter, wider kernel when compared to long grain rice. The cooked grains are more moist and tender and have a greater tendency to cling together than long grain. Yes, brown rice does take longer to cook than white rice, but has a delicious nutty flavour and aroma that is worth the wait!
This is our fail-proof method for perfectly cooking your brown rice every time. We hope you give it a go!
Perfectly cooked brown rice
Makes approx 3 cups cooked brown rice
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
1 cup of our medium grain brown rice
1 3/4 cups of filtered water
Pinch of salt
1. Measure out 1 cup of brown rice.
2. Rinse and strain the rice several times, making sure the water that runs off runs clear.
3. Drain thoroughly and return to saucepan.
4. Add 1 3/4 cups of filtered water to the saucepan.
5. Add a pinch of salt.
6. Cover and cook over medium-high heat until water boils.
7. Reduce heat to low, keeping the water gently simmering.
8. Cook for 45 minutes, checking periodically to make sure the water is not bubbling too vigorously (or not enough).
9. After 45 minutes, remove saucepan from heat, place a clean tea towel between the pot and the lid and let stand for 5 minutes.
10. Fluff with a fork and enjoy the most delicious, nutty, wholesome brown rice - perfectly cooked every time!